THE VILLAGE OF EAGLESHAM
The village of Eaglesham is situated in East Renfrewshire, about ten miles south of Glasgow, to the south-east of Newton Mearns, south of Clarkston and south-west of East Kilbride. In 2011 the population of Eaglesham was 3,114.
At the heart of this beautiful place is the 18th century planned village. Many of its buildings are grade ‘B’ or ‘C’ listed but, as a whole, the village is ‘A’ listed.
In 1769 Alexander Montgomerie, 10th Earl of Eglinton, began the work of developing the old kirktoun of Eaglesham into an elegant planned village with two ranges of houses — Polnoon Street and Montgomery Street — built around the Orry. This area of common land was planted with trees and lawns and with a rivulet running down the middle, intended for the common good.
In the 19th century, the main industries were cotton spinning, weaving and farming. There were several cotton mills, one situated in the Orry employing 200 workers by around 1840, and the other on the nearby Millhall Estate at Polnoon.