DID YOU KNOW…ABOUT THE RESTORATION OF THE VILLAGE?
By the 1930s Eaglesham had become very dilapidated, and many of the old houses were empty or had collapsed. A suggestion had been made that the houses should be bulldozed and all replaced with council houses, but the 1939-45 war saved demolition.
A few years later two ladies, Miss Kath Whyte in 1949 and Mrs Nina Davidson in 1950, moved in to the village and, with others, inspired a group of local people and associations to discuss what could be done to save it.
A Preservation Society and the Restoration Joint Committee were founded in 1956 and were supported by various organisations, and this led to a four-year survey of the village. In 1960 the Committee established the buildings to be of historic and architectural value, and in 1975 the Historic Building Council recognised the village as “Outstanding” and Eaglesham became Scotland’s first Listed Village.
We can just imagine what the village would have been like if these two ladies and their enthusiastic supporters had not stepped in and stopped the bulldozers!